The Celebration of the 1920s at Ball State University.

Two Ball State departments come together to put on a show.

MUNCIE, Ind. —The Hospitality-Innovation and Leadership students and Fashion Industry Studies students at Ball State collaborated to put on a show. A celebration that showcased the history of life in the 1920s. 

The event included food and clothes catered to the ‘20s. Various mannequins were present throughout the function in different scenarios. Some had protest signs to show the fight for women's right to vote, while others had tables around them to represent the many parties that occurred in the ‘20s.

Freshman Molly Bray described her experience working at the event.

“My project here is not only the history of fashion but also the history of Kitselman Center.”

Over the summer, the faculty came together to discuss which classes should host the event. Professor Diana Saiki, a professor in Fashion Industry Studies, picked her fashion history class because it went hand in hand with what Dr. Sotiris Hji-Avgoustis, Department Chair of Applied Business Studies, picked for the event. The celebration gave the students an opportunity to showcase their skills and appreciation for the era.

In total, around 30 people were involved in collaborating on the event. The two departments were able to put together an event that interacted with the public and educated students about the history of the 1920s in a fun, fashionable way.

“It’s just a really great way to learn the social culture aspect of what life was like a hundred years ago,” Molly Bray said.

Contact Andie Zelaya with comments at andie.zelaya@bsu.edu.