Little Rock Nine member Thelma Mothershed Wair dies at 83

Thelma Mothershed Wair, one of the first black students to attend Little Rock High School, died this weekend.

A historical civil rights figure known as one of the “Little Rock Nine” died Saturday at age 83. Thelma Mothershed Wair was among the nine African-American students who integrated Little Rock Central High School in 1957.

Mothershed suffered complications from multiple sclerosis, said her sister, Grace Davis. She received her high school diploma and earned a bachelor’s degree in home economics education from Southern Illinois University Carbondale and a master’s degree in guidance and counseling from Southern Illinois University Edwardsville. 

Mothershed enjoyed a 28-year career in education–working as a teacher and counselor. She also earned national recognition for her contributions to civil rights.

In 1958, she received the NAACP’s prestigious Spingarn Medal. In 1999, President Bill Clinton awarded the members of the Little Rock Nine the Congressional Gold Medal.

Mothershed Wair's accomplishments didn't stop there.

In 2017, she co-authored the book Education Has No Color. In it, she wrote about her life as one of the first black students at Little Rock Central High School.

Contact NewsLink Staff with comments at newslink@bsu.edu.