CCIM photography competition

The CCIM living-learning community hosted a photo competition for Ball State students this past Tuesday.

MUNCIE, Ind. — The CCIM living-learning community hosted a photo competition for Ball State students this past Tuesday. Many students submitted photos to this competition. Each was different from the rest. Some photos were of classic Ball State landmarks, while others were of other types of inspiration. The photos were judged based on five categories. Those categories include Fall, Beneficence, Chirp Chirp, Ball State, and Nature. The event coordinator, Aaron Hicks, helped pick the winner, along with the help of the facility and staff at BSU.

“One of the ideas I wanted to hit was kind of a cornerstone; one of the different cornerstones of Media, to try to engage the students, and one of those was photography,” Aaron said

Just under 100 photos were submitted to the competition. During the gathering, a slideshow of all the photos played. Each photo got its own time to shine multiple times, as the slideshow was on a loop. The top five photos were specially recognized during part of the program. The winner, Dylan Budd, was given a Polaroid camera for his amazing photo. Even those who didn’t make the top five stayed the entire time to enjoy the food, photos, and company of fellow students.

Even those who didn’t compete peeked into the lounge to see what was going on. Some grabbed some food and sat down with the students already present. Attendees danced to music as a slideshow of photos taken over the television screen played. This was a bonding experience for those who came.

“I think it’s really fun. Even if you don’t win, it’s still a fun experience and a good way to get involved with Ball State and the different dorms,” competitor Jenny Thomas expressed.

Many living-learning communities coordinate events like this one to encourage students to get involved. Ball State encourages students to find activities outside of class time to participate in. This photo competition included showing time spent outside of class and collapsing with peers to communicate about one’s work. Gatherings like this one are slowly becoming more and more popular as time goes on throughout the semester.

Contact Stephanie Weaver with comments at Stephanie.Weaver@bsu.edu