Muncie’s Old Washington Victorian Street Festival

Home of Tom Collins, Pres. of the neighborhood association.

MUNCIE, Ind. — History can teach people a lot. One thing that history is teaching the inhabitants of Munice is the value of old Victorian homes. In Muncie’s East Central neighborhood, located on historic Old Washington St., members of the community take part in a Victorian home festival. The event places all types of local artists and vendors along the street, bringing people interested in touring some of the available historic homes.

The festival's goal is to raise awareness toward Muncie’s historic culture, alongside the hopes of bringing possible buyers for some of the vacant homes. Tim Collins was one of these people years ago, and is now the president of the East Central Neighborhood Association.

“The real hope of the festival is for people to come and see the beauty, not only in Muncie, but in the Victorian homes, which we hope sees more and more people working towards restoring these homes,” Collins said. 

While this was the festival's original goal, its effect on attendees has evolved over the years.

In addition to restoring the homes, the event has also brought the surrounding community closer by providing an artistic outlet. Washington St.’s festival provides all types of artists, whether musical or manufacturing, with a way to promote their talents.

The event was a great way to build upon a strong community and raise awareness of the Victorian homes in Muncie. The festival’s chairman, Kim Miller, was delighted with the event's turnout and believes that “in coming years, it will continue to grow stronger."

Contact Aiden Murray with comments at aiden.murray@bsu.edu.