Ball State Football kicks off 100th season

MUNCIE, Ind. — Ball State Football opened their historic 100th season of play. On Saturday, the Cardinals hosted the Missouri State Bears at Scheumann Stadium. 

“There’s only one Team 100. None of us will be alive for Team 200,” said head coach Mike Neu. 

After a mishap on offense that led to a defensive score for Missouri State, the Cardinals look to take back control of the game. Redshirt freshman Kadin Semonza was able to use his legs to find his way into the endzone and put Ball State on the board. A quick huddle on the sideline saw Semonza with vocal leadership for the rest of his guys. 

“Defense had our back that whole first half; it was about time we had theirs. So I reminded them to keep doing their thing,” said Semonza. 

The Cardinals found a rhythm to help close out the game. They were flying high with a 42-34 win in the historic home opener. A new Ball State player, Braedon Sloan, touched on the atmosphere after such a big win for the program.

“You got the music going, people dancing. It’s just real exciting because it’s hard to win. Just glad we got that first one,” said Sloan. 

With a fantastic start at 1-0 to start the year for Team 100, Myles Norwood expressed the morale in the locker room. 

“This team could be special. It’s Team 100; everybody’s bought into each other. We all love each other like we’re brothers. It’s going to be a great year,” said Norwood. 

The Cardinals will flock south to Miami for their next matchup against the Hurricanes. Kickoff is set for Saturday at 3:30 p.m. at Hard Rock Stadium. 

Contact Jake Garcia with comments at jaycob.garcia@bsu.edu.