Hozier’s “Unheard” and “Unaired” EPs are truly unreal experiences

<p>Image from Spotify</p>

Image from Spotify

The opinions and views expressed in this article are those of the author and do not reflect the opinion of Byte or Byte’s editorial board.

Hozier’s Unheard EP consists of four songs that didn't quite make the cut for his most recent album, Unreal Unearth, and the Unaired EP consists of three. The album takes inspiration from the poem Inferno by Dante Aligheri which details a journey through the nine circles of Hell, resulting in a lyrical story about change. According to a social media post made by Hozier shortly before the release of the Unheard EP, “Too Sweet” would’ve represented the circle of gluttony, “Wildflower and Barley” would be limbo, “Empire Now” would be the circle of violence, and “Fare Well” would have been the ascent. Since Hozier has not stated exactly what circles correlated with “Nobody’s Soldier,” “July,” and “That You Are”, the Unaired EP is a bit of a shift away from the album and the Unheard EP. However, they still tie in with the overall theme in other ways.

Looking at the songs on the main album, it is understandable why these were chosen as opposed to the ones on the EP. Despite this, the Unheard EP in combination with the Unaired EP provides Hozier enjoyers with an extra treat if Unreal, Unearth wasn’t quite enough. 

A Journey Toward Ascent

The first song on the EP is clearly the fan-favorite based on the reactions on social media. I have to agree that “Too Sweet” is definitely the best song on the EP and could have been a top contender had it been on the main album as well. This song would have joined “Eat Your Young” in the circle of gluttony, but having one circle represented by two songs that are some of Hozier’s best works may have led to the rest of the album feeling unbalanced. The choice to keep only “Eat Your Young” was effective and powerful. As for “Too Sweet,” the catchy chorus and beautiful lyrics would make it a great single, but it is also a great way to open the EP. 

Image from Vanderbilt Hustler

In the second song, “Wildflower and Barley,” we get a name drop of the original album within the lyrics. This song features Allison Russell and their voices blend together beautifully to create a relaxing melody. It is incredibly soothing, giving the feeling of floating through a field of flowers. “Wildflower and Barley” would have been placed with “First Time” in limbo, and it is easy to see how these could have similar themes as they both have a light and airy feel.

“Empire Now” is a powerful song that incorporates a gorgeous use of string instruments. While these lyrics are more simple than the other songs in the EP, the effect is slightly haunting. The connection to the circle of violence is clear from the looming feeling of the overall song. 

“Fare Well” shifts back into a soft strumming of guitar with Hozier’s voice being the primary star for the first verse of the song. The chorus is reminiscent of “First Time” and “Anything But;” two of my favorite songs from the main album. The soft beginning leading into a fun and upbeat rest of the song is a great finale for this EP. 

Changing the Tone

“Nobody’s Soldier” is definitely my favorite of the EP songs that Hozier has released and comes first on Unaired. This song can really best be described by Hozier himself in an article for the Rolling Stone: “‘Too Sweet’ is one of the most lighthearted, fun songs that I’ve ever put out… So part of me was like, ‘Well, I better follow this up with an anti-war song.’” The song perfectly encapsulates this anti-war sentiment in the lyrics as well as the incredible music video. The combination of electric guitar, bass, and other haunting sounds in the background of the track work together to portray a clear message. Hozier truly outdid himself with this one, especially in the lyricism. 

The next song, “July,” feels almost airy as a result of the light piano notes sprinkled throughout the track. It is a very pretty song, but doesn’t feel as powerful in comparison to some others. This song has been described as the “sister song” of “Wildflower and Barley,” which makes sense given that the vibes are pretty similar. However, the clear piano notes in the song set it apart and it does end up being fairly memorable. 

“That You Are” features Bedouine and the harmonies created in this song are gorgeous. This song allows the EP to end on an incredibly soothing note. The song feels almost like a sweet lullaby that wishes the listener farewell. It really feels like a perfect ending to the EP and a reminder that these songs will follow you “anywhere that you are.”

Until Next Time

Despite how short these EPs are, it was nice to get new releases from Hozier between his larger projects. It leaves me even more excited for a potential next album, whenever that may be. 

As always, Hozier’s lyricism and gorgeous vocals are what make these EPs so enjoyable. While I can understand how these songs did not quite fit into the original album, I’m glad Hozier made the decision to release them in this way so that we still have a chance to appreciate them. 

Sources: Spotify, Spotify, Spotify, Spotify, Goodreads, Goodreads, Twitter, Spotify, Spotify, Spotify, Spotify, Spotify, Spotify, Spotify, Spotify, Spotify, Spotify, Spotify, RollingStone, Youtube, Holler, Spotify

Photos: Spotify, VanderbiltHustler

Contact Willow Emig with comments at willow.emig@bsu.edu