'They just believe:' Wes Del football defeats Park Tudor behind Nauman's career performance

Wes-Del junior running back Brock Mauman runs Oct. 4 during a game against Park Tudor at Wes-Del Middle/High School. Nauman had eight rushing touchdowns. Zach Carter, DN

GASTON, Ind – After Friday night’s Wes-Del football game, junior running back Brock Nauman had two words to describe the contest.

“Very awesome,” he said.

While a win is a win, the Warriors celebrated after defeating Park Tudor – who was favored by 19 points – 72-45. Nauman had not one, not two, but eight rushing touchdowns to lead the black and maroon to the win column.

“We have been preaching all week that we pride ourselves on being the most physical team,” Wes-Del head coach Matt Nuckols said. “That’s what it was tonight… [Nauman] is gutsy and had an amazing performance.”

Though the Warriors won by multiple scores, the first half was contested as the two teams traded blows. It was even Park Tudor who had the opening touchdown of the contest.

“A lot of credit to Park Tudor because they are an explosive team,” Nuckols said. “It helped that we were able to get multiple possessions.”

Those extra Wes-Del possessions were due to the Warrior defense finding ways to help their fireball of an offense. An interception, multiple turnover-on-downs plays and a few punts all led to scores.

While the Panthers did find some more momentum in the third quarter, the Warriors never lost their spirit. Nauman was the leader of the offense as he had 111 rushing yards alone in the first half. Wes-Del finished the game with 525 rushing yards, only attempting one pass play on a two-point conversion attempt.

However, Nauman could not credit himself for the outing the offensive line had.

“I would not be here without the offensive line just killing it,” he said. “I will buy them something. I’m definitely getting them something.”

Senior Dallas Godby believes he and his fellow linemen bought into the process Nuckols has been preaching. But to get the results like tonight, that has to first happen in practice.

“The hard repetition and hard practice helps,” Godby said. “We hit each other as hard as we can. Sometimes we have to deal with injuries, but every day we are pushing to get better.”

With sophomore quarterback Kameran Vonderschmitt being injured in the past few weeks, the team has decided to focus on the run game like they did against the Panthers. To do this, the team had to agree with the idea, and according to Nuckols, that hasn’t been an issue.

football-1.jpg
Wes-Del assistant football coach Daniel Henson high-fives junior running back Brock Nauman Oct. 4 during a game against Park Tudor at Wes-Del Middle/High School. Wes-Del won 72-45. Zach Carter, DN

“Our offensive line and running backs have bought into everything,” Nuckols said. “They love [the emphasis on the run] and I think most guys love it. As long as we are winning, that’s what matters. We’re a downhill run-the-ball team and when we get that momentum, it makes everything go.”

Other Warriors that found the end zone in the win included senior Grayson Mealy and sophomore Rhyker Mauck.

Though the victory is one Nuckols believes the team can call normal if the good play continues, there is still one goal that is on their mind. The Warriors have three wins on the season. If they were to win the last two regular-season games, they would be the first Wes-Del football roster to head into sectional play with a .500 record since 2016.

“We want to improve every year. That is our mindset in practice, but also the mindset every season,” Nuckols said. “...They just believe. We don’t have a lot of selfish guys over here and they just want to win.”

To the Warriors, they believe their school and community need the feat even more than themselves.

“This community really deserves it,” Nauman said. “We have to stay focused and we can’t get cocky. We can’t underestimate anyone.”

The march to that goal starts Friday, Oct. 11 at 7 p.m. when the Warriors go on the road to face Union County.

Contact Zach Carter via email at @zachary.carter@bsu.edu or on X at @ZachCarter85.