The Student Success Coaching Center makes its first appearance at the Scramble Light

A small group from the Student Success Coaching Center comes to help students.

MUNCIE, Ind.— On Thursday afternoon, the Student Success Coaching Center held a spot at the Scramble Light on Ball State’s campus.

The Student Success Coaching Center is designed to cater to the needs of students to help them perform at their best while living the college experience.

Assistant director of Student Success Coaching, Char Hawkins explains how their service can be applied to different areas of students’ lives.

“Whether it is academically or interpersonally,” Hawkins said, “we want to make sure that students are thriving and not just surviving in college.”

Hawkins and other coaches help students build some important skills to get them through college.

“They are what I like to call the ‘soft skills’ of college,” Hawkins said. “That can include time management, fighting procrastination, motivation to do school work and interpersonal skills to help speak better with students and teachers.”

Whether first-year students or graduate students, many come through the Student Success Coaching Center. Hawkins believes she and the other coaches have a responsibility in helping to get these students going forward.

“What we can provide is more of a partnership,” Hawkins said. “This can let students know that we are there alongside them rather than having them do it all on their own.”

Thursday afternoon marked the first time the Student Success Coaching Center held their own station at the Scramble Light. They were able to give assistance to over 100 students with any questions or concerns.

The next scheduled student success coaching event takes place on Halloween afternoon in the Arts and Journalism Building at 1 p.m..

Contact Evan Shotts with comments at evan.shotts@bsu.edu.