“Paint Campus Purple” helps show healthy love on campus

Campus organizations show support for domestic violence survivors with the “Paint Campus Purple” event.

MUNCIE, Ind. — Paint Campus Purple was more than just an event; it was a declaration that the university stood with survivors. It was a call to end the silence, break the cycle of abuse, and create a community where everyone could feel safe. The idea was simple: paint the campus purple to bring awareness about domestic abuse and help survivors show what healthy love is. The inspiration behind the event comes from the love and support received from various organizations on campus.  

The Ball State Center for Survivor Support and Sorority Alpha Chi Omega helped set up this event for the survivors on campus.  Their main goal was for participants to take home a reminder of the importance of supporting each other and making a positive impact.  Alpha Chi Omega’s Wellness Event Planner, Reagan Mullins, expressed how she wants people to attend these events to see that they are not alone.

“I hope that people come out here; it just reminds them that they aren’t alone and that they have a support system,” said Mullins.

Anna McGee, a victim advocate and associate director at Ball State Center for Survivor Support, also hopes these events will provide survivors with an outlet. 

“We hope that the art that we’re doing here today can make the survivors feel heard, feel seen, or maybe even have an outlet to express what they’ve been going through,” said McGee.

The event included the participants' welcome to paint canvas, tote bags, and pumpkins to create a lasting reminder of the power of compassion and what healthy love is supposed to be. It is intended to serve as a reminder that individuals can make a difference by using their voices to effect change and that their presence is felt in every corner of society. If you or a loved one is struggling with domestic abuse or violence, please contact the Ball State Center for Survivor Support or go to their website here.

Contact Ava Lens with comments at ava.lens@bsu.edu.