Ethel Kennedy dead at 96

Ethel Kennedy, the wife of Sen. Robert F. Kennedy who raised their 11 children after he was assassinated and remained dedicated to social causes and the family’s legacy for decades thereafter, died Oct. 10, according to the Associated Press (AP). 

Family members said Kennedy had been hospitalized after suffering a stroke in her sleep Oct. 3.

“It is with our hearts full of love that we announce the passing of our amazing grandmother,” Joe Kennedy III posted on X. “She died this morning from complications related to a stroke suffered last week.”

Apart from her family life as a devout Catholic, Kennedy worked heavily as an activist after her husband’s death. In 1968 — the same year her husband was assassinated — she founded the Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights nonprofit in his memory.

“The nonprofit center she founded remains dedicated to advancing human rights through litigation, advocacy, education and inspiration, giving annual awards to journalists, authors and others who have made significant contributions to human rights,” according to AP.

The Kennedy matriarch is succeeded by nine children, 34 grandchildren and 24 great-grandchildren, all who loved her dearly, according to an official statement released by the Kennedy Family.

Contact the Daily News via email at editor@bsudailynews.com .