Eagles football looks forward to playoffs

Delta Football is at the tail end of their season and looking forward to the playoffs.

MUNCIE, Ind. — The crisp fall air is once again flowing through another high school football season as the regular season enters its final act. Delta High School is looking beyond the curtain call before they perform their final scene. 

The Eagles’ season began with a stellar opening act, starting at 3-0, but going into the final week, they sit at 4-4. As they look to finish over .500 on the season, head coach Chris Overholt believes that his “family” has demonstrated that spark to keep on pushing. 

“We’ve gone through some adversity, but they’ve kept us on track,” Overholt said. 

“We’ve shown glimpses of just being an outstanding team. We’re just hoping those glimpses continue as we go into the postseason.” 

The vision is there, and it’s one that they have seen before. Last year, Delta was in a similar situation where they finished 5-4 after starting off to a fast start to begin the year. What made last season unique? The Eagles were able to dance their way to the regional championship where they inevitably lost to Bishop Chatard.  

“You know, it’s finding that late-season run,” Overholt said. “I always tell our kids that when you get into the tournament, you can tell the teams that want to be done. So, we’ll play as long as they want to play. I think that we’ve already set a great tone for practice this week. Yesterday was very good. We had great energy this morning, so I think our seniors want to keep playing a lot more football, and that’s a good thing for us.”

The Eagles’ regular season finale is this Friday as they travel to New Palestine to take on the Dragons. Next Friday, they are in a sectional bout with the Patriots of Heritage on their turf.  

Contact Jayce Miller with comments at jayce.miller@bsu.edu