Ball State University holds lantern festival

Ball State University organization, Global Harmony, celebrated their first annual Lantern Festival.

MUNCIE, Ind. -– Last Friday, the Ball State University organization, Global Harmony, celebrated their first annual Lantern Festival. The festival had music, free food, and a wonderful community.

The festival kicked off with a commencement ceremony that featured performances from Global Harmony staff. One staff member, Richard Hiraishi performed the violin for the opening ceremony.

After the ceremony, the guests were welcome to an all culture buffet featuring many cultural favorites like orange chicken, eggrolls, chow mein and more. The buffet was one of the many things that aimed to bring together people of all cultures, local and international students.

“I found out that a lot of international students only have a ten-meal plan, so it’s not enough for them.” said Global Harmony President Sakdidach Nobpatsorn. “We’re trying to provide an event like this so they can come and enjoy and grab some food and meet some new people.” 

Students got to know each other through games, stories, activities and more. Multiple cultural booths were set up to provide background on the countries students came from.

“This event is essentially to bridge international students and domestic students here at Ball State University,” said leadership team member Snehashree Muthuramesh. “The whole goal of this event and the importance of this event is to make sure students feel more at home here at Ball State and hopefully to get to know more people.” 

The Festival of Lanterns is an event where cultures collide and friendships are made. Global Harmony hosts annual events throughout the year. Global Harmony’s goal is to celebrate different cultures across campus and form strong bonds between Ball State and the rest of the world.

Contact Braylon Judy with comments at braylon.judy@bsu.edu