Ball State hosts its fall semester Family Weekend

<p>Ball States student section was full for the first game home against Missouri State Sept. 7 at Scheumann Stadium. Isabella Kemper, DN</p>

Ball States student section was full for the first game home against Missouri State Sept. 7 at Scheumann Stadium. Isabella Kemper, DN

Every year, Ball State University hosts Family Weekend in the fall semester. 

“Family Weekend is a time when the campus invites students, faculty, staff, and their families, friends, and guests to visit campus and reconnect. Anyone can be family. Parents, siblings, guardians. All are welcome!” According to Ball State’s Office of Student Life website. 

This year, Family Weekend will be held Oct. 4 - 6. Here are the upcoming events to look forward to:

Thursday, Oct. 3

Faculty Recital from the School of Music in Sursa Hall, 7:30 - 9 p.m.

Friday, Oct. 4

• Field Hockey game vs. Longwood University at 11:50 a.m. at Scheumann Stadium
  • David Owsley Museum of Art (DOMA)’s Mindfulness in the Museum event, 12 p.m.
    • Hosted by Dr. George Wolfe, Professor Emeritus at Ball State University, “These sessions provide an opportunity for guided meditation and discussion and are free and open to the public,” according to DOMA’s website.
  • Dean’s List Celebration on the first floor of the Teacher’s College, 4 - 6 p.m.
    • An open-house style event is open to students who have achieved academic excellence Fall 2023 through Summer 2024 and their families via RSVP, according to Ball State’s Office of Student Life website.
  • "Halloween Celestial Origins" at the Charles W. Brown Planetarium, 6:30 p.m.
    • “During this program, you will learn the history of Halloween and how it fits into the seasons as a ‘cross-quarter day,’” according to Ball State’s Charles W. Brown Planetarium calendar. The show is free and open to the public.
  • “Friday Night Filmworks” in Pruis Hall, 9 p.m.
    • The event will feature “Inside Out 2” and offer free popcorn and soda. According to Ball State's Office of Student Life website, the first 100 guests will receive a DIY Cardinal Stuffy craft to take home. 

Saturday, Oct. 5

• Spirit and Traditions at University Green, 9 a.m - 12 p.m.
    • 9 - 11 a.m: Enjoy family-friendly Bingo and an inflatable bounce house. 
    • 11 a.m. - 12 p.m.: Explore the Shaefer Bell Tower, followed by an engaging recital.
  • Football game vs. Western Michigan at 2 p.m. in Scheumann Stadium
    • Tailgating takes place two hours prior to kickoff outside the stadium with food trucks, a pep rally and Cardinal Walk, according to Ball State’s Office of Student Life website
    • A series of free, public planetarium shows will be offered at Ball State’s Charles W. Brown Planetarium:
      • "Earth, Moon, and Sun,”  3:30 p.m.
      • "Saturn and Beyond," 5 p.m.
      • "Halloween Celestial Origins" (second showing), 6:30 p.m.
        • Visit the Planetarium’s calendar for more information.

Sunday, Oct. 6

• Soccer match vs. Buffalo at the Briner Sports Complex, 12:45 p.m.

Those looking for a place to stay during Family Weekend can reserve a room at the Ball State University hotel and familiarize themselves with the local area via destinationmuncie.org. Ticket information for athletic events during the weekend can be found on the Ball State Sports website. T-shirts to celebrate Family Weekend are also available for purchase at Ball State's Office of Student Life website.

Contact the Daily News via email at editor@bsudailynews.com.