4 takeaways from Ball State football's loss to Vanderbilt

Offensive lineman Ethan Crowe snaps the ball to quarterback Kadin Semonza Oct. 5 at Schuemann Stadium. Semonza passed for 307 yards and had 18 rushing yards. Ella Absher, DN

Ball State football traveled to Nashville, Tennessee for the Cardinals’ final non-Mid-American Conference (MAC) game of the season. After four quarters of play against Vanderbilt, the red and white fell to the Commodores 24-14.

Here are four takeaways from the game.

A great start on offense

Ball State (2-5, 2-4 MAC) did not waste any time to get the offense going. After receiving the opening kickoff, the Cardinals marched down the field. Redshirt freshman quarterback Kadin Semonza went 6-for-6 in the 11-play drive, recording 59 yards through the air.

After wasting some clock throughout the possession, redshirt junior Kiael Kelly scored with a nine-yard rushing touchdown.

While the Cardinals’ second drive ended with a punt, the offense still had its moments throughout the five-play possession. During that sequence, senior Braedon Slaon caught a pass from Kelly and ran for a 24-yard pick-up.

Throughout the rest of the first half, the Cardinals struggled to find the fire they started the game with. While Semonza continued to find some success– he finished the first half going 13-for-20 – the red and white punted multiple times to end the first half.

Inconsistent defensive play in the first half

While the Cardinals’ offense showed promising signs, the performance of the defensive unit was a different story. After Ball State recorded the opening score, the red and white could not keep the momentum on the other side of the ball.

Vanderbilt’s offense drove down the field on its first possession with ease. The Cardinals forced a third down but the Commodores (4-2, 2-1 Southeastern Conference) were able to move the chains with a completed pass. However, the red and white were able to gain some momentum in the red zone, stopping the Commodores and forcing them to kick a 27-yard field goal.

To open the second quarter, the Cardinals let the Commodores move down their field with ease including a 38-yard pass play. But once again, Ball State’s defense found something near the end zone and forced Vanderbilt to kick another field goal, this time a 24-yard kick.

But the Commodores found the end zone later in the second half with a 41-yard rushing touchdown from sophomore Eli Stowers. The Vanderbilt offense also picked up the two-point conversion with a successful passing play.

The Cardinals ended the first half giving up 246 passing yards and 39 rushing yards.

The Cardinals didn’t capitalize on early Vanderbilt errors

While Ball State had its moments on both sides of the ball, the Cardinals could not take advantage of Vanderbilt’s mistakes during all four quarters. While Commodores’ senior starting quarterback Diego Pavia finished the game going 17-for-31 with 275 passing yards and two touchdowns – one passing and one rushing – the QB1 missed multiple throws on third-down occasions.

However, both times this happened, Ball State’s offense stalled on the following drives, having to punt. Though Ball State graduate student Brain Cooey Jr. had three punts within the Vanderbilt 20-yard line, the Cardinals couldn’t do anything in those situations.

Even when the Cardinals forced Vanderbilt to multiple third down scenarios – including a third and ten play in the second quarter – the Commodores were able to get out of the jam every time.

Second half struggles

Coming out of the break, the Cardinals’ defense showed a newfound energy and forced the Commodores to punt. Ball State’s offense followed that with an 11-play drive, which ended when Semonza found junior tight end Tanner Koziol in the end zone for a seven-yard touchdown.

Though it seemed the Cardinals may have found what they needed, the rest of the final half was different than the start. Multiple punts, negative plays – like Semonza catching a tipped pass and being sacked for a loss – and poor defensive execution allowed Vanderbilt to add 10 points on the scoreboard.

After Pavia’s rushing touchdown in the fourth quarter, the Cardinals could not find the rhythm they needed to make a comeback. Semonza finished the game with 190 passing yards and one passing touchdown. The red and white rushed for 78 yards.

Ball State will return to Muncie Saturday, Oct. 26 for its homecoming game against MAC opponent Northern Illinois (4-3, 1-2 MAC). Kickoff is set for 3:30 p.m.

Contact Zach Carter via email at zachary.carter@bsu.edu or on X @ZachVarter85.