SCOTT: WNBA Rookie of the Year: Clark vs Reese

IOWA CITY, IOWA- FEBRUARY 15:  Guard Caitlin Clark #22 of the Iowa Hawkeyes listens as the crowd cheers after breaking the NCAA women's all-time scoring record during the game against the Michigan Wolverines  at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on February 15, 2024 in Iowa City, Iowa.  (Photo by Matthew Holst/Getty Images/IndianaCapitalChronicles)
IOWA CITY, IOWA- FEBRUARY 15: Guard Caitlin Clark #22 of the Iowa Hawkeyes listens as the crowd cheers after breaking the NCAA women's all-time scoring record during the game against the Michigan Wolverines at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on February 15, 2024 in Iowa City, Iowa. (Photo by Matthew Holst/Getty Images/IndianaCapitalChronicles)

Calvin Scott is a third-year media major. His views do not necessarily reflect those of the Ball State Daily News.

Throughout the WNBA Season, the race for the Rookie of the Year award was between the two frontrunners: Chicago Sky Forward Angel Reese and Indiana Fever Guard Caitlin Clark. Now, the race is coming to the homestretch with Clark ahead of Reese by a mile.

I agreed with most of the media in the middle of the season before the all-star break about it being a toss-up with both Clark and Resse having pros and cons.

The debate between the two superstars was reasonable at the time. For example, after the first month of the season, Clark did pretty well but that didn't necessarily correlate with the rest of her team with the Fever having a record of 1-8. Reese did just okay in May as she only recorded one double-double but contributed to the Sky’s 3-3 record.

Towards the midway point of the season, both Reese and Clark got in the swing of things with both of their teams reaching their unique milestones and accolades, but once the all-star break was over and league play came back, the tides shifted exponentially.

The Indiana Fever, who were 11-15 at the all-star break, have played a total of eight games since then, and they have only managed to lose one. They are led by Caitlin Clark averaging 25 points along with six rebounds and nine assists.

On the other hand, the Chicago Sky were 10-14 at the all-star break. They have played a total of nine games since then, and they have only managed to win one. Reese’s stats in those nine games are: 14 points along with 16 rebounds and two assists.

As far as playing against each other it's a no-brainer that Clark is better. Clark and Reese played head-to-head four times with the Fever winning three of them. When Clark plays Reese, she averages 21 points, seven rebounds, and ten assists along with about two steals. While Reeseaverages 14 points, 13 rebounds, and two assists in their head-to-head battles.

I don't see how you can compare the two and still say it is a toss-up for the Rookie of the Year award.

All season long the debate has come down to the question of “What do you value most in a player”. For Reese it is rebounds and double-doubles, while with Clark, it's points and assists. Since both players have played different roles and positions on their teams, it is hard to compare apples to oranges.

Don't get me wrong, Clark and Reese have both been playing great during their rookie campaigns. But, when you compare overall contributions and take everything into account, it's just like comparing a Pontiac to a Porsche.

Never have we as sports media and fans valued rebounds over points and assists, in any form of basketball.

Sacramento Kings All-Star Forward Domantas Sabonis had a historic year last season becoming the rebounding champion by an average of about 14 per game along with leading the entire league with 77 double-doubles, which are the most ever in a single season, passing all-time greats such as Hakeem Olajuwon and Kevin Garnett.

Sabonis finished the MVP race that year in 8th place with no first-place votes.

My point is, there was never a time in the history of basketball where we valued rebounds over points and assists. Rebounding rarely receives the same appreciation that scoring and assisting does, no matter how impressive the stat line may look.

Lastly, I just want to compare the milestones and achievements of both Reese and Clark and see how they are measured.

Clark has had one of the best rookie seasons of all time, accomplishing so much with just eight games left in the regular season. She is top ten in points per game, leading the WNBA in assists per game, currently making the most three-pointers, and set the record for most assists in a game with 19.

Clark also has an assortment of rookie records including most three-pointers in a season, most three-pointers in a game, the first triple-double by a rookie in WNBA history, and the first rookie to have 400 points along with 100 rebounds and 150 assists in a single season.

Reese leads the WNBA in rebounds, is the first player in WNBA history to have three consecutive 20 rebound games, and has the record for most consecutive double-doubles in a season.

Even on her worst day give me Caitlin Clark.

Contact Calvin Scott with comments at calvin.scott@bsu.edu or on X @CalvinAJScott.