We're not in this alone: A letter from the Ball State Daily News Executive board

Brenden Rowan, DN Illustration
Brenden Rowan, DN Illustration

Last year, the Ball Daily News published its first special edition based around the topic of mental health. Our staff recognized the growing concern surrounding mental wellness and wanted to produce a paper that could share information and resources, as well as remind our peers and our own staff that no one is alone in their mental health struggles.

In our newsroom, we strive to expand our coverage off campus and into the Muncie community. We aim to pop the metaphorical Ball State bubble and connect campus, Muncie and beyond.

Because of our greater community and statewide coverage, last year’s mental health paper started a discussion beyond the walls of our newsroom and the footpaths of our campus. It was the wake-up call we hoped it would be. And we intend to keep the discussion ongoing.

It just takes the proper dialogue and action to overcome the stigma around mental health. Talking about the situation as it is — being honest and bringing awareness — is what leads to change. As journalists, it’s our job to promote that dialogue.

Every single one of us is affected by mental health to some degree. But we are in this together — we are not alone.

Thank you for reading.