Wapahani soccer looks to achieve a historic season

MUNCIE, Ind. — Wapahani boys soccer is on the verge of a legendary year. The Raiders hold a record of 6-4-1 and a chance to clinch a winning season. The last time they had a winning season, head coach Josh Kauffman dawned the red, white and black 15 years ago. The impact this type of season can have on a program is immense. 

“It’s massive,”  said coach Kauffman. “It’s been well over a decade since we’ve had something of that level of success.”

For senior Noah Henderson, a huge key to lead to success is the ability to rally behind and play for one another. 

“Just playing together as a team has really helped us. Our chemistry is so much better than it has been in previous years,” said Henderson.

After a tough loss to a fierce Delta Eagles team, the Raiders will continue to gain that final win to clinch a .500 or greater win percentage. Wapahani continues to keep their heads high and learn from the crucial moments, proving that having the right mindset is a pivotal piece in success. 

“We know the games we’re supposed to win, we’re there,” said Kauffman. “The games that we are outmatched, we’re getting better. They’re not letting the mental warfare kind of get to them like they have in the past.” 

The Raiders will prepare for the remainder of the season and the approach of sectionals. With that, the key to continued success is simple for this hungry group. 

“Stay together and keep that focus, that winning focus of it’s a team sport,” said Kauffman. 

Contact Jake Garcia with comments at jaycob.garcia@bsu.edu.