Turning the page on prejudice with the Human Library

Learning how to unjudge someone at the Fire Up DWNTWN festival.

MUNCIE, Ind. — Imagine a library where the “books” are people– each with a story to tell. At the Human Library, you don’t have to imagine it.

The Human Library invites you to sit down with a stranger and read a chapter of their life—no bookmark required.

The idea is simple: Turn the page on prejudice and learn how to unjudge someone.

That’s the motto that Depot Manager Peggy Lewis follows.

“That’s what we mean about ‘unjudging,’” said Lewis. “It’s a conscious thing to say, ‘let me set aside what I previously have thought and make a whole new picture of what this could be.’”

At the Human Library, every “book” has a spine; the authors are real volunteers sharing their experiences. No story is off-limits, and each one offers a unique perspective.

Charlize Jamieson, a book in the library, is part of that narrative.

“It’s not just a transgender thing. There are topics about so many different lifestyles that people lead– most of which are in the margins. It’s a great way to get a better understanding; it’s a great way for those of us books to kind of get a better feel of where the reader is coming from, too,” said Jamieson.

The Human Library challenges our assumptions about others. It offers a chance to move beyond the assumptions and see the human behind the label.

Every person has a story worth checking out– you just have to return it in the same condition.

To become a book or to simply read one, go to humanlibrary.org.

Contact Sophie Schick with comments at sophie.schick@bsu.edu.