Local film group competes in Ball State’s Film Festival

KOKOMO, Ind. — Dreamscape Studios, consisting of students Brady Nelson, Evan Swope, Dillon Bridgwater, Evan Kearney and Jackson Kirby competed in their hometown of Kokomo, Indiana this past weekend.  

Their high action, intense heist film “Action Speaks Louder” took home Best Directed Movie at the 48-hour film awards. The event was held at The Sun King. The crew has won awards in the past. Last year, they took home best writing with their western “Colors that bleed.” 

“My favorite part was filming this one scene where we had to jump in a moving van because it was a heist film, and it was just some crazy high-octane stuff,” said Bridgwater 

The studio has been making movies ever since Brady Nelson got his first camera back in first grade. 

“I started making movies when I was in fourth grade when I met Brady and Evan pretty much for the first time. I’ve been with them ever since,” said Kearney.  

Ever since then, the group has only grown and grown thanks to new actors and actresses from Northwestern High School and the area surrounding Kokomo. 

Dreamscape Studios is looking to expand their film catalogue at Ball State’s upcoming 48 Hour Cinema Showdown. The contest starts on September 13th at 6 p.m. in the David Letterman Building.  

“I really love doing (film contests),” said Bridgwater. “They’re always a challenge. It’s just such a different experience.” 

The film showcase will be held in Pruis Hall on September 15th at 6:00 p.m. All group films will be shown. 

Contact Braylon Judy with comments at braylon.judy@bsu.edu.