Former QB looks to soar at new position

MUNCIE, Ind. — Someone that has been described as a “dynamic playmaker on the field” and “a great person off,” Redshirt Junior Kiael Kelly faces a new challenge unlike any that is often seen in the sport of collegiate football. 

After featuring at quarterback in all 12 games last season for the Cardinals, including starting the final six, Kelly found himself in uncharted territory entering summer workouts as it was announced that sophomore Kadin Semonza would be named the starter for the upcoming season. But having Kelly as a backup wasn’t an option that head coach Mike Neu was fond of. 

“I had a meeting with him and said that if we were to start tomorrow, Kadin would be the starting quarterback,” said Neu. “Now, in saying that, Kiael is one of those guys who is just a great athlete. So the question then is, how do we get him on the field?” 

Thus, the Cardinals assessed their options for how to keep Kelly involved. That’s when defensive backs coach Darrell Perkins realized that Kelly fit the mold for a defensive player. 

“He’s got high football IQ on the field,” claimed Perkins. “Once you mix that with the talent and the athletic ability, that’s a winning combination.” 

So, after some discussion amongst Neu, Perkins and most importantly Kelly, it was decided that he would make the switch from quarterback to defensive back. The switch, however, wasn’t going to be as straightforward as it may sound according to Perkins. 

“It’s like being the new person on the job,” said Perkins comparing Kelly’s new situation. “When things happen, there are a lot of firsts. This is my first time that I did this or had to react to that.” 

Even Kelly himself admits that there was a learning curve at the start. 

“Just learning the new techniques and all the fundamental stuff has been a grind, but it’s not something that I don’t feel I can’t do,” said Kelly. 

And the coaching staff has been here to help Kelly along the transition. 

“Coach Perkins has played a big role,” claimed Kelly. “He was always supportive of my from day one and even now we meet every day.”  

And Kelly feels that his quarterback knowledge already gives him a leg up on the opposing QBs. 

“I have to play the game within the game,” stated Kelly when discussing how he plans to use his QB knowledge at DB. “Basically put myself in the quarterback’s shoes and figure out what I would do in that moment.” 

After just one week, Neu and Perkins are keeping their expectations grounded for the new DB. 

“The expectation is to just get better each and every day,” said Neu. 

Perkins backed up Neu’s claim with expectations of his own. 

“As long as [Kiael] is making a contribution week-in and week-out, we’re happy,” said Perkins with a smile. 

But the biggest thing Kelly wants though, is to just enjoy the change of scenery and find the success that he knows is there. 

“I’m here to embrace the switch and show people that I can do this,” claimed Kelly with a determined tone. “Really become that All-MAC player that I know I can be.” 

Contact Jake Dickman with comments at jacob.dickman@bsu.edu.