Flags of Honor ceremony held in Minnetrista

MUNCIE, Ind. — Since the mid-1900s, veterans have been honored for their acts of service. However, the Exchange Club takes it to the next level right here in Minnetrista.

Every year, the Muncie Exchange club plants over 1000 American flags to help honor veterans and first responders who served America.

Not only do these flags have plenty of meaning behind them, but they also provide stunning visuals for Muncie residents to see.

“It’s patriotic,” said former Muncie Exchange club president and former Navy veteran Forrest Bowers. “And I like to see the reactions of the other individuals.” 

He noted that his favorite part of the ceremony was to see how the ceremony affected people.

“Well, it means a lot, especially today with the situations we have around the world.”

Flags of Honor hold a special place in many locals' hearts. However, with Forrest Bowers, these flags mean a little more, especially when watching America’s next generation stop by.

The tradition of setting up over a thousand American flags at the Minnetrista Museum and Gardens started back in 2013 to not only honor those who have served but also to honor the first responders who lost their lives to the September 11th attacks in New York. 

“We wanted to put up a thousand flags to honor the patriotism of the veterans, especially the veterans and the first responders who put their lives on line during 9/11,” said Bowers. 

The Flags of Honor also hold some historical pieces featuring a replica of the original U.S. flag made by Betsy Ross and each flag made to commemorate each U.S. state being added.

The Flags of Honor in Minnetrista will hold a pre-ceremony concert featuring America’s Hometown Band at 5:30 p.m., followed by their closing ceremony at 6 p.m.

For more information, go to muncieexchangeclub.com

Contact Wyatt Maher with comments at wyatt.maher@bsu.edu.