Delta improves to 3-0 with win over Shelbyville

Delta players celebrate a touchdown in a game against Shelbyville at Delta High School on Friday, Sept. 7. David Moore, DN.

MUNCIE - It was the home opener on Friday evening for the hometown Delta Eagles (3-0) who had a date with Hoosier Heritage Conference (HHC) rival Shelbyville (1-2). These two squads know one another very well and have very similar playstyle. Ground and pound was the name of the game but only one could come out on top at the end of the night. Delta was able to grind out the victory in dominant fashion over Shelbyville 37-7.

“We’re hyped to have won three games already,” senior running back Bryce Stroble said. “These haven’t been our toughest opponents of the year yet, and we’ve got some big teams coming up so it’s just prepared us for that.”

Delta elected to receive the ball to begin the game, and the Eagles were able to move the ball down the field methodically. A mix of pass and run kept the Golden Bear defense on their heels most of the drive.

After two fourth down conversions by Delta and an eight-minute opening drive, a short run from senior quarterback Bronson Edwards put the navy and gold on the scoreboard first taking an early 7-0 lead.

The Delta defense was able to hold the white and golds offense to maintain the home team's lead through the end of the opening quarter.

“They’re all playing as a team right now,” Stroble said. “Nobody is trying to do their own thing, and they’re all doing their job, sticking together and playing for one another.”

The offenses were slowed in the second quarter as both teams were trading punts back and forth. After a short Shelbyville punt, Delta had a golden opportunity to put more points on the board to push their lead.

The navy and gold came up just short and were forced to settle for a field goal after a fumbled pitch to senior running back Nolan Carpenter to go up 10-0 midway through the second.

The Eagle defense, throughout the entirety of the first half, was able to snuff out anything the visitors threw their way. The Shelbyville offense could never find any momentum.

Every snap it seemed like at least one or two Delta defenders were in the backfield ready to make a play at one point forcing the Golden Bears into three straight three-and-outs.

“I liked our tenacity,” Overholt said. “That’s been our MO, and these guys have lofty goals. They were upset even giving up just one score but we like having a defense with an edge.”

After another Eagles defensive stop, the Delta offense continued to click as Edwards was able to find junior wideout Amir Wright-Hill for a 36-yard connection. 

Delta followed that up with another impressive scoring drive resulting in a 23-yard touchdown run from senior running back Nolan Carpenter to continue to dominate the first half, leading 24-0 at the break

With a large cushion heading into the second half the gameplan didn’t change much for Delta. The home team stuck to the ground game and punished the Golden Bears with their duo of senior backs with Stroble punching in the first score of the second half.

“We’re lucky to have been able to run split backs,” Overholt said. “These guys root for each other, they definitely could be selfish and I know they both want the ball, but we’re stronger when we split carries.”

Shelbyville was then able to answer with their first score of the night after a bubble screen was taken all the way down to the three-yard line where the Golden Bears capitalized scoring their first touchdown of the game.

“I didn’t like the way we finished,” Overholt said. “I’d like for us to be able to put a stamp on it and finish, so we’ve got to be able to play four full quarters of football.”

However, that momentum wouldn’t last for long as on the ensuing kickoff senior defensive back Kamryn Wise took the kickoff back for a score to push the lead to 37-7 capping off a dominant victory for the Eagles.

Delta will travel to Yorktown (2-1) for their next contest on Friday, Sept.13. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m.

Contact David Moore with comments at david.moore@bsu.edu or on X @gingninj63