Bulletin for the Ballot

The upcoming 2024 election has left many Hoosiers thinking about not only who to vote for, but also, where to vote and how. A new state law passed in February 2024 requires Indiana residents to obtain proof of residency upon registering to vote. Indiana is also among the top 15 states with one of the earliest voter registration deadlines — Oct. 7 — 29 days before the election. Voter registration is not offered on election day in Indiana.

Any Hoosier can register to vote online by visiting indianavoters.in.gov. Voters can also register over mail by completing the voting registration form, which can be found online in both English and Spanish on the Indiana Secretary of State website. Hoosiers can mail their registration in, or visit their county’s voter registration office or the Indiana Election Division to drop off their registration application. 

Additionally, if you need to check your registration status, you can check online AT or call 1-866-IN-1-VOTE.

Additional voting resources for Ball State students can be found online by visiting the “Cardinals Vote” website run by the Center for Economic and Civic Learning page. According to the site, “Ball State has been awarded the Highly Established Action Plan Seal by the ALL IN Campus Democracy Challenge for its outstanding efforts in developing a nonpartisan democratic engagement action plan.” 

Beyond the national presidential election, multiple state and Delaware county races are taking place. Indiana is holding an election for the governor seat, U.S. senator, District 5 House Representative, state legislators, city council seats, circuit court judges and more. 

Those interested in learning more about the upcoming governor election can view the three gubernatorial debates scheduled to take place. The first is Oct. 2, televised via Fox 59/CBS 4 at 7 p.m. Eastern time. The second is Oct. 3, televised via WISH-TV at 7 p.m. Eastern time and the last is Oct. 24, televised via WFYI public television station in Indianapolis. 

For those ready to vote, polls in Indiana are open from 6 a.m. through 6 p.m. on election day, Nov. 5, 2024, according to the Indiana Disability Rights’  “Ways to Vote” website. Locations and times for casting your vote can be found online at indianavoters.in.gov

Students whose permanent residence is outside of Delaware county can request an absentee ballot by mail or in person, with information being available online via the Indiana Secretary of State website. The deadline to register for a mail-in ballot in Indiana is Oct. 24.

Ball State students would also be able to vote in Delaware county if they change their voting registration address to one residing in the county. This would require them to vote for Delaware county races. Students need to “have lived in the precinct where you vote for at least 30 days prior to the election,” according to the secretary of state website. 

Upcoming Election Dates to Know

Oct. 2 - First Gubernatorial Debate

televised via Fox 59/CBS 4 at 7 p.m. Eastern time

Oct. 3 - Second Gubernatorial Debate

televised via WISH-TV at 7 p.m. Eastern time

Oct. 7

Voter registration ends.

Oct. 8

Early voting begins.

Oct. 17 - First Day of absentee ballot registration

Submit applications to the Indiana Circuit court clerk in person or by mail, fax, email, or online through the Indiana Voter Portal at indianavoters.com.

Oct. 24 - Third Gubernatorial Debate

• televised via WFYI public television station in Indianapolis
  • Deadline: By 11:59 p.m., all absentee ballots must be registered. 

Oct. 26 - Nov. 2

Offices of the circuit court clerks will be routinely open for a minimum of seven hours to permit early voting in Delaware County. 

Nov. 4 - Deadline:  By noon, circuit court clerks must receive absentee ballot applications

Applications may be submitted to the circuit court clerk in person or by mail, fax, email, or online through the Indiana Voter Portal at indianavoters.com. 

• This includes the state and federal levels, and Federal Post Card Applications from military/overseas voters requesting to vote by email or fax.

Nov. 5 - General Election Day 2024

Polls in Indiana are open 6 a.m. - 6 p.m., according to the state's “Ways to Vote” website. Polling sites throughout Muncie are available online at Delaware County’s official website.

Contact Olivia Ground and Katherine Hill via email at olivia.ground@bsu.edu or katherine.hill@bsu.edu .