How the UPD builds connections with students

The Ball State University Police Department is constantly looking for ways to build interaction with students on campus.

Muncie, Ind. — The Ball State University Police Department is constantly looking for ways to build interaction with students on campus. With events such as personal self-defense courses, lunch with a cop and various other events at residence halls. The most recent major event was Meet and Eat with UPD at Northwest Hall.

“It’s finally nice to meet a face of the UPD instead of just seeing the cruisers going down Campus,” Aidan Seifert said.
Events such as Meet and Eat with UPD work to improve safety on Ball State’s campus. An example of this is by showing students the effects of drinking by providing students with drunk goggles and trikes. 

“It simulates drunk driving to a degree,” UPD Sgt. Sami Cooper said. This can give students the experience to know the dangers of drunk driving without any of the harmful consequences.

Students who gain connections with university police departments are also likely to feel safer overall. Especially with events like Lunch with a cop.

“We signed up for the lunch with the cop, they came and they paid for our lunch at nothing dining. He let us ask any questions we wanted and if it was a little goofy,” Emma Hollinden said.

With all of these events that the UPD has to offer they are actively building connections with the student population.

For any more information about the University Police Department, go to campus security on the BSU website.
Contact Dylan Chesnut with comments at dylan.chesnut@bsu.edu