Ball State flies into the MAC with its 5th win of the season

The Ball State soccer team huddles up before the beginning of the second half against IUI on Sept. 12 at Briner Sports Complex.  The Cardinals were able to hold IUI to two goals this game. Titus Slaughter, DN
The Ball State soccer team huddles up before the beginning of the second half against IUI on Sept. 12 at Briner Sports Complex. The Cardinals were able to hold IUI to two goals this game. Titus Slaughter, DN

The odds worked out in Ball State's favor with a 6-2 win against IU Indianapolis (IU Indy). 

The Cardinals pressed the Jaguars, forcing a heavy defensive play with few opportunities to score. Quick movement of the ball, controlled touches and loud communications guided Ball State to victory. 

The Cardinals were the first on the scoreboard with junior forward Emily Roper’s first goal of the season in the 19th minute followed by a late goal with the assist from sophomore defender Kylie Archer. 

Junior forward Delaney Caldwell was honored as the MAC “Offensive Player of the Week” Sept. 10, 2024. She tied multiple Ball State women's soccer records last season and. she recorded her fourth game in a row scoring for the Cardinals, with six goals total in non-conference play. 

The recognition “helps me lead with confidence and gives me a baseline to build off of,” Caldwell said. 

She said her goal is to continue looking for a MAC championship and “to do her best to feed the ball to her teammates.” 

IU Indy’s sophomore defender Shannon Ott scored in the 23 minute, tying the game. Ball State responded quickly with a goal from junior midfielder Addie Chester. 

Chester is getting what she wants out of Ball State's soccer program, win’s. Her 2023 season at Louisville only resulted in two goals, but before kicking-off the MAC season as a Cardinal, Chester has more than doubled her stats with five goals and assists this season. 

“I really want to win the MAC,” Chester said.

“She’s a special player … who has the ability to break a defense down one-to-one at any moment,” head coach Josh Rife said. “The MAC is always tight and so the margins are very small … The MAC is tough defensively … so we have to continue to find ways to be a little stingier on defense.”

After a tough loss to Bowling Green State University last year, with the winning goal in the final minute, Rife expresses the importance of staying focused the full 90 minutes. 

“This group just continues to be hungry for a MAC championship. They want to chase after it,” Rife said.

The Cardinals are looking for a win against BGSU to kick off MAC play 4 p.m. Thursday Sept. 19 at Briner Sports Complex.

Contact Meghan Sawitzke with comments at meghan.sawitzke@bsu.edu or on X @MSawitzke.