5 places in Muncie that offer student discounts

The cast of "White Chrismas" preforms at Muncie Civic Theatre on Dec. 5. This show is the holiday show for the season at Civic Theatre. Olivia Ground, DN

With Ball State University students settling into campus life and looking to explore Muncie on a budget, many local establishments offer student discounts. Here are five local businesses that offer deals: 

Berrywinkle

A self-serve frozen yogurt shop on Tillotson Avenue offers students 10 percent off their order when they bring their Ball State ID. The shop is open from noon to 10 p.m., offering 21 flavors and 60 toppings with lactose-free and nondairy options. Berrywinkle also has “No Weight Wednesdays,” where customers can pile up yogurt and toppings without weight factoring in the price. On Wednesdays, the costs are 8oz for $3.29, 12oz for $5.29 and 16oz for $7.29. Head to the shop's Facebook page to learn more about the shop's deals.  

Berrywinkle 13.JPG
The Berry Winkle sign outside of the front of the store on Nov 7. The shop prices on No Weight Wednesday are $4.89 for a small, $6.99 for a medium and $8.99 for a large cup of frozen yogurt. Ella Howell, DN

Mama & Son Soul Food Kitchen

This family-owned soul food restaurant also gives students a 10 percent discount when they bring their Ball State ID. Mama & Son, located in downtown Muncie, is open 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday. They are also open Saturday 1 p.m. to 8 p.m. and closed on Sundays. According to their website, chicken and cornbread dressing are their specialties. On their Facebook, they announce daily specials. The restaurant also offers an online ordering option on its website.

RELATED: Downtown Muncie restaurant, Mama and Son, focuses on love in their food and environment

Muncie Civic Theatre

Founded in 1931, the community theater in downtown Muncie offers musicals and plays performed by community members for the community. Now in its 90th season, the theater prices student tickets at $15, which are available in person or online. Muncie Civic Theatre also offers a $90 season subscription for students, which offers eight flex tickets for any seat and show. The Theatre's upcoming shows are “The Great Gatsby,” running Oct. 11-20 on the mainstage; “The Book of Will,” running Sept. 13-22 in the Studio; and a youth program production of “The Suessification of Romeo & Juliet” is showing from Oct. 4-6, according to its website.

Minnetrista Museum & Gardens

Minnetrista, a 40-acre museum and garden located along the White River, offers gardens, a Nature Area, historic homes, children’s play areas and access to the White River Greenway. Throughout the year, Minnetrista offers various events, including farmers markets, workshops and interactive exhibits. Minnetrista is offering a $5 membership to students to attend events and exhibits, like the Bob Ross Experience, for the full year. To sign up, head to the Minnetrista front desk or call 765 282-4848. Minnetrista is open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Wednesday to Saturday and Sunday noon to 5 p.m. It's closed on Monday and Tuesday. To see upcoming events, go to Minnetrista’s website.

Farmers Market 3.jpg

A flower bouquet is for sale June 8 at the Minnetrista Museum and Gardens farmers market in Muncie. The flowers were being sold by vendor Rusted Kreations. Olivia Ground, DN

Muncie Indiana Transit Systems (MITS)

MITS is the public bus service for Muncie and has 14 routes throughout the city that students can ride for free. The buses connect to Ball State University, Ivy Tech Community College, Minnetrista Cultural Center, Walmart, the Muncie Mall and Ball Memorial Hospital. Their MITSPlus service offers door-to-door service for people with disabilities. To keep track of the buses’ locations, MITS provides an app called MITSBus available on Google Play and the Apple App Store. Their routes run Monday through Friday 6:15 a.m. to 6:45 p.m. and Saturday 8:15 a.m. to 6:15 p.m. To learn more about MITS, visit their website.
Contact Hannah Amos via email at hannah.amos@bsu.edu or on X @Hannah_Amos_394.