Tillotson Avenue closed for reconstruction

Tillotson Ave. is closed until further notice. The closure — a portion between W University Avenue and W Riverside Avenue — allows Indiana Michigan Power (I&M) crews to safely install underground equipment. Andrew Berger, DN

Part of Tillotson Avenue is closed after construction started Monday, Aug. 19. The closure — a portion between W University Avenue and W Riverside Avenue — allows Indiana Michigan Power (I&M) crews to safely install underground equipment. Weather permitting, the closure “will last approximately four weeks,” according to Ball State’s Communications Center.

According to a press release by I&M, construction crew members will work longer hours and extra days to “minimize the impact and reopen the road as soon as possible.” I&M will provide updates in advance of changes in traffic control plans.

“The road closure is for one reason — safety,” said Rob Keisling, I&M external affairs manager for East-Central and Northeast Indiana. “There have already been two vehicle accidents in our work zones for this project, so we worked with the City of Muncie and determined this was the best way to protect our crews and the public.” 

I&M hopes to enhance reliability with the Tillotson Avenue Transmission Line Project, a project focused on addressing numerous power outages through the city in recent, said Keisling.

For comments, contact editor@bsudailynews.com.