Things Your Car Insurance Company Doesn't Want You to Know After an Accident

Car accidents can be overwhelming, leaving you stressed and unsure of your next steps. Though expected to help, insurance companies often prioritize their profits over your best interests. Understanding things they don't want you to know will help you manage your claim more effectively.

Immediate Steps After a Vehicular Accident

After a collision, gathering as much data as possible is crucial. Take photographs of the scene, exchange contacts, and insurance details with the other driver, and obtain contact information from witnesses. Filing a police report can also provide an official incident record, which can benefit your claim.

Contacting a personal injury lawyer, like Yosha Law Firm, if you happen to be in Indiana soon after the accident can offer guidance and protect your rights. Lawyers can help you grasp the complexities of insurance policies and work hard so you receive fair compensation. Insurance companies often prefer that you handle claims independently, hoping to settle for less than you deserve. 

Let's now see what insurance companies don't want you to know (and do) so they get things their way. 

The True Value of Your Claim

Insurance companies usually make efforts to downplay the value of your claim. They often use algorithms and software to calculate settlements, which might not fully account for all your damages. Medical bills, lost wages, material damages, pain and suffering, or mental anguish should all be considered when evaluating your claim.

Insurers might offer a quick settlement to close the case rapidly. Their first offer is typically lower than what you are entitled to. Hiring a personal injury attorney solves the issue of assessing whether the offer is fair or if you should pursue a higher settlement.

Your Right to Choose Your Repair Shop

You have the right to select the repair shop for your vehicle. Insurance companies often suggest using their preferred shops, implying it's mandatory. These preferred shops might use cheaper, non-original parts to keep costs low, potentially compromising the quality of the repair. Always remember that you can choose a shop you trust to do the repairs correctly.

Recorded Statements

Insurers will most likely ask you to provide a recorded statement soon after the accident. They often present this as a standard procedure, but recorded statements can be used to undermine your claim. Adjusters might ask leading questions to elicit responses that could be interpreted against your interests. It is wise to decline to provide a recorded statement until you consult a personal injury lawyer.

Pre-Existing Conditions

Insurers often scrutinize your medical history for pre-existing conditions to reduce the compensation amount. Most insurers usually claim that your injuries result from something other than your accident; thus, they are related to previous conditions. Detailed medical records and statements from your healthcare providers can help counter these arguments. Your personal injury lawyer will ensure they present the necessary evidence to support your claim and even make a claim for long-term disability if the accident was catastrophic.

The Role of Independent Medical Examinations

Insurance companies might request an Independent Medical Examination (IME) to verify your injuries. While termed "independent," these examinations are often conducted by doctors chosen by the insurer, potentially biasing the outcome in their favor. Understanding your rights regarding IMEs and having your medical documentation can help protect your interests.

Delaying Tactics

Insurance companies sometimes use delaying tactics to pressure you into accepting a lower settlement. Delays can cause financial strain, especially with mounting medical bills and lost wages. Knowing this, they might hope you settle quickly out of desperation. Staying patient and persistent is the key to receiving the compensation you deserve.

Full Coverage Misconceptions

"Full coverage" doesn't always mean complete protection. Full coverage usually includes liability, collision, and comprehensive insurance, but it might not cover all expenses related to an accident. Additional coverage, such as uninsured/underinsured motorist protection, medical insurance, or personal injury protection, may be necessary to fully safeguard against all possible costs.

Are You Ready to Go Against Insurers?

Awareness of these critical points can significantly influence the outcome of your car accident claim. Insurance companies prioritize their financial interests, often at your expense. Being informed and proactive, including consulting a personal injury attorney, will take you toward fair damages and settlements. Understanding your rights and the tactics used by insurers can empower you to make better decisions and protect your interests after an accident.

This post is provided by a third party who may receive compensation from the products or services they mention.