'Don’t mess with happy:’ Ball State women’s basketball head coach Brady Sallee extends contract through 2030

Women's basketball head coach Brady Sallee coaches from the sidelines during an exhibition game against Wheeling University Nov. 1 at Worthen Arena. Amber Pietz, DN

The feeling of home is exactly why Ball State women’s basketball head coach Brady Sallee decided to stay and extend his contract through 2030. 

“My family and I made the decision that we want this to be home,” Sallee said. “It has been home for us for a long time. The security of knowing that was important to us.” 

Sallee said his appreciation for the extension starts with President Geoffrey Mearns. He said the board of trustees shows a real belief in what Ball State women’s basketball has done and what they continue to do. 

Sallee also noted Athletic Director Jeff Mitchell and Deputy Director of Athletics Alex Perry have been alongside a long list of people who have been great to collaborate with. 

Mitchell said Sallee “personifies excellence” that is consistently on brand with the university and athletic department. 

“They are a big reason why I want to be here and chose to stay here,” Sallee said. “It is what I think makes Ball State what it is. It is the people who are here.

“Don’t mess with happy. Clearly, my family and I are very very happy here.”

Mitchell said he values Sallee’s leadership, how he conducts business, and the collaboration he brings within the department and community. 

“When you wrap that up into a complete package, it is a no-brainer for me to offer him the opportunity to continue to serve as our head women’s basketball coach for an extended period,” Mitchell said. 

Sallee has been a Cardinal for 12 seasons. During his time Ball State has played in the Women’s Basketball Invitation Tournament (WBIT), played in nine WNITs, 10 MAC Tournament appearances and seven 20-plus win seasons.  

The Cardinals have beaten six Power 5 schools under Sallee and have a 237-147 record with him at the helm. 

Mitchell said Sallee and himself view the state of collegiate athletics and higher education the same way. In the end, the goal for both is to develop winners and leaders. 

“A critical element of his program is that he is going to develop young women of character to be great members of their respective communities when they leave this place,” Mitchell said. 

In the business of basketball, 2030 might seem like it is far away, but Sallee said everything is about big-picture plans. 

“We are really trying to run a program, not just have a good team,” Sallee said. 

With the most recent seasons, Sallee said the Cardinals have just cracked the surface of becoming a bigger national brand. 

“Hopefully people look at our program and see one of the best mids (mid-major),” Sallee said. “Even more than that, one of the best programs.”

Sallee said he wants to continue to take the program to the next level with Mid-American Conference (MAC) Championships and NCAA Tournament appearances. 

“All those things are what get me out of bed ready to go every day. I do not see that changing,” Sallee said. 

Contact Elijah Poe with comments via email at elijah.poe@bsu.edu or on X @ElijahPoe4.