Pros and Cons of Pets

Best friends don’t come around very often, and even when they do, they’re not always at your side. What if you came home every day from a long day of work and/or class, and your best friend was waiting to greet you: with a bark and a wagging tail, a soft mew as they emerge from under the sofa, or a silent acknowledgement of your existence by means of swimming in a tiny circle and peering at you with unblinking eyes?

There are many pros and cons when decided to add a pet into your home, especially as a young adult and college student. It’s important to do lots of research and planning to understand the commitment. 

Pros of a Pet

1.     Stress relief

College students deal with a lot—a heavy classwork load, working one or more part-time jobs, managing a healthy work life balance and lifestyle—and having a critter at home to calm you down gives you something to look forward to during a long day. According to the Mental Health Foundation, having pets can reduce stress and anxiety.

2.     Improved physical and mental health

Dogs are proven to improve physical health when taken on regular walks and runs, an easy way to integrate exercise into your daily routine. Although cats may not enjoy an outdoor walk, they often need an hour or two of energetic playtime. The National Institute of Health reported that living with an animal can decrease cholesterol levels, lower blood pressure, boost mood, and decrease feelings of loneliness. 

3.     Companionship and general enjoyment

An animal can soon become your close companion—a cat or dog to lie at your feet during a nap, or cuddle up to watch a movie, to sit at your ankles when you’re cooking a meal. The bonds that humans form with animals is a beautiful thing. Pets also allow us to connect with other people, whether it be our friends who come over to hang out just to hang out with the cat, or a stranger on the hiking trail who stops you to pet your fluffy and kind dog. 

Cons of a Pet

1.     Extra expenses

College kids have to be on a budget. Living off scholarship money, part-time job money, or a savings account is tough, and not to be put lightly. First, the apartment or rented house you live in might not accept pets or will charge an extra fee with each month’s rent. Check your lease for your apartment’s pet policy. Even without your apartment’s fees, pets can be a major expense. Vet appointments, vaccines, food, litter boxes and litter, beds, leashes and collars—all miscellaneous expenses should be calculated before making a decision to get a pet. 

2.     Roommates

Some roommates may encourage a pet, or not care about the addition to the living area. But, it would be wise to sit down with your roommate(s) and discuss the responsibilities: who will feed the animal if you cannot? Who is responsible for cleaning a litter box or hamster cage or fishbowl? Where will the kennel, the litter, and other pet items be kept in the apartment? If your roommate has a pet allergy, you might want to find that out before you bring one home. 

3.     Commitment

Some pets are not just a four-year gig, they might follow you from your first apartment to your second or third, across state lines, to your first house. Think through your future—and how none of us know where we might end up—before deciding on a long-term pet. Dogs and cats can sometimes be high-maintenance, a little fish up on a desk never hurt anyone.

The listing of rental units on The Roost Housing Guide is a service to local rental property owners and Ball State University students, faculty, and staff. Rental property owners are responsible for reporting information fairly and accurately, and Ball State Daily and Ball State University cannot guarantee the completeness or accuracy of such information. Inclusion of any property or rental unit on this website does not constitute, and shall not be construed or reported as (1) an endorsement or approval by Ball State Daily or Ball State University of the landlord, its properties, or its business practices, or (2) a warranty or representation by Ball State Daily or Ball State University as to the quality, safety or other features of such property and/or its owners or management agent(s). Ball State Daily and Ball State University expressly disclaim any and all responsibility for any problems that may arise with regard to such property or rental units or with regard to disputes between landlords and tenants concerning such property or rental units. All prospective tenants are encouraged to exercise their own good judgment when evaluating a prospective rental unit or landlord and use trusted resources such as the Better Business Bureau (
www.bbb.org) and Ball State University’s Student Legal Services (www.bsu.edu/about/administrativeoffices/legalservices).