Hurricane heads for Florida after brushing Caribbean islands

<p>&nbsp;A woman poses for a photo backdropped by ocean waters and a Puerto Rican &nbsp;national flag, after the passing of Tropical Storm Dorian, in the &nbsp;Condado district of San Juan, Puerto Rico, Wednesday, Aug. 28, 2019. The &nbsp;Hurricane Center said the storm could grow into a dangerous Category 3 &nbsp;storm as it pushes northwest in the general direction of Florida. <strong>(AP &nbsp;Photo/Ramon Espinosa)&nbsp;</strong></p>

A woman poses for a photo backdropped by ocean waters and a Puerto Rican  national flag, after the passing of Tropical Storm Dorian, in the  Condado district of San Juan, Puerto Rico, Wednesday, Aug. 28, 2019. The  Hurricane Center said the storm could grow into a dangerous Category 3  storm as it pushes northwest in the general direction of Florida. (AP  Photo/Ramon Espinosa) 

By DÁNICA COTO 

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) — Hurricane Dorian moved out over open  waters early Thursday after doing limited damage in Puerto Rico and the  Virgin Islands, though forecasters warned it was becoming more dangerous  while moving toward the northern Bahamas and Florida’s east coast.

The  U.S. National Hurricane Center said Dorian was expected to strengthen  into a dangerous Category 3 hurricane as it stayed well to the east of  the southeastern and central Bahamas over the next two days. The  forecast called for the storm to pass near or over the northern Bahamas  on Saturday and close in on Florida by Sunday afternoon.

The storm was a Category 1 hurricane Wednesday when it swirled  through the islands of the northeastern Caribbean, causing power outages  and flooding in places but doing no major damage.

“We’re happy  because there are no damages to report,” said William Solís, the mayor  of the small Puerto Rican island of Culebra. He said only one community  lost power.

Dorian caused an islandwide blackout in St. Thomas and  St. John in the U.S. Virgin Islands, and scattered power outages in St.  Croix, government spokesman Richard Motta said. The storm also downed  trees and at least one electric pole in St. Thomas, he said, adding that  there were no reports of major flooding.

“We are grateful that it wasn’t a stronger storm,” he said.

There  were no reports of serious damage in the British Virgin Islands, where  Gov. Augustus Jaspert said crews were already clearing roads and  inspecting infrastructure by late Wednesday afternoon.

Early  Thursday, Dorian was centered about 150 miles (240 kilometers)  north-northwest of San Juan. The U.S. National Hurricane Center said its  top winds were blowing at 85 mph (140 kph) as the storm moved northwest  at 13 mph (20 kph).

Dennis Feltgen, a Hurricane Center  meteorologist in Miami, said earlier that Dorian would strengthen and  could hit anywhere from South Florida to South Carolina.

“This will be a large storm approaching the Southeast,” he said.

People  in Florida were starting to get ready for a possible Labor Day weekend  strike, with county governments along Florida’s east-central coast  distributing sandbags and many residents rushing to warehouse retailers  to load up on water, canned food and emergency supplies.

“All  Floridians on the East Coast should have 7 days of supplies, prepare  their homes & follow the track closely,” Gov. Ron DeSantis said in a  tweet. Later Wednesday, he declared a state of emergency for the  counties that could be in the storm’s path.

Puerto Rico seemed to  be spared any heavy wind and rain, a huge relief on an island where blue  tarps still cover some 30,000 homes nearly two years after Hurricane  Maria. The island’s 3.2 million inhabitants also depend on an unstable  power grid that remains prone to outages since it was destroyed by  Maria, a Category 4 storm.

Ramonita Torres, a thin, stooped,  74-year-old who lives by herself in the impoverished, flood-prone  neighborhood of Las Monjas in the capital of San Juan, was still trying  to rebuild the home she nearly lost after Maria but was not able to  secure the pieces of zinc that now serve as her roof.

“There’s no money for that,” she said, shaking her head.

Several  hundred customers were without power across Puerto Rico, said Ángel  Figueroa, president of a union that represents power workers.

Police  said an 80-year-old man in the northern town of Bayamón died Wednesday  after he fell trying to climb up to his roof to clear it of debris ahead  of the storm.

Before the storm, President Donald Trump sent a  tweet assuring islanders that “FEMA and all others are ready, and will  do a great job.”

He then added a jab at Puerto Rican officials who  have accused his administration of a slow and inadequate response to  Hurricane Maria: “When they do, let them know it, and give them a big  Thank You — Not like last time. That includes from the incompetent Mayor  of San Juan!”

The mayor, Carmen Yulín Cruz, tweeted that Trump  needs to “calm down get out of the way and make way for those of us who  are actually doing the work on the ground,” adding that maybe he “will  understand this time around THIS IS NOT ABOUT HIM; THIS IS NOT ABOUT  POLITICS; THIS IS ABOUT SAVING LIVES.”

___

Associated Press writers Adriana Gómez Licón in Miami and Mike Schneider in Orlando, Florida, contributed to this report.