Board of Trustees members stay updated with campus news, attend events

The Board of Trustees had a meeting on Jan. 29 in the Forum Room of the L.A. Pittenger Student Center. This was Interim President Terry King's first Board of Trustees meeting as the acting president. Students attended this meeting as sit-in in hopes to get answers as to why Dr. Ferguson resigned. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Duties of the Board of Trustees

• manage, control and operate Ball State
  • borrow money, issue bonds and let contracts
  • prescribe conditions for admission
  • grant degrees and issue diplomas or certificates
  • set fees, charges, fines and penalties
  • define the duties of and provide compensation for faculty and staff of the university
  • receive and administer all donations, bequests, grants, funds, and property that are given or provided to the university
  • possess all the powers in order to effectively operate the affairs of Ball State

Source: bsu.edu

The nine members of the Board of Trustees each receive $50 per official meeting as well as travel expenses, according to state law, said Joan Todd, university spokesperson.

The trustees are involved with the university in ways that may not be apparent, she said. Their involvement revolves around carrying out the university's strategic plan and making decisions which affect tuition and budgets.

“In addition to their formal duties, trustees spend considerable time attending events on and off campus which promote the university, including alumni, athletic and student activities,” Todd said.

The trustees are not paid to attend campus and community events.

Because most of the trustees don't live in Muncie, at times it may be hard for them to keep up with campus events. Board chair Rick Hall said he was not aware of what the Beneficence Dialogues were at the last trustee meeting. The dialogues happened a year ago when students had complaints about diversity at the institution. 

But Hall said each of the board members receives a copy of the Ball State Daily News in the mail to keep up with campus news.

Hall, who is based in Carmel, Ind., finds himself visiting campus two times a month, not only for meetings but to attend alumni events, athletic events and other activities.

Hall earned his bachelor’s degree from Ball State and played on the basketball team. He said the coaches, faculty and staff have influenced who he has become.

“My years at Ball State were a transformative period in my life,” Hall said. “The reason I serve as a trustee is to help create similar experiences for students today.”

Renae Conley, vice chair of the board, grew up in Muncie and completed her bachelor’s and master’s degrees at Ball State. She said serving as a trustee is special to her because of her connection to the university.

“It is really an important place for me, so for me to be able to come back and be on the Board of Trustees is a pretty big deal,” Conley said.

Conley said she stays connected with campus through the daily email updates Interim President Terry King sends to the board.

Conley’s mother and brother both reside in Muncie, so she often comes back to visit her family and to connect with campus.

“I have seen the university change and the importance that the university is to Muncie and the importance that Muncie is to Ball State,” Conley said.

Conley said she has been involved with the university the last 15 years, as she has served on the advisory board for the business college and the board for the Ball State Foundation.

Todd said the trustees spend a considerable amount of time learning about issues in education.

When Conley worked and lived in Louisiana, she spent time working on issues in early childhood education. She served on the board for Teach for American and City Year. 

Conley said she has been involved in education issues throughout her adult life. 

"Education, it's the key to your own personal freedom," Conley said.