Fun in the snow

Impromptu snowball fights, snowmen and snow forts popped up on campus Monday afternoon after Sunday

Brittany Cripe is a photojournalism major and writes ‘Cripe’s Corner’ for The Daily News. Her views do not necessarily with those of the newspaper. Write to Brittany at bncripe@bsu.edu

With snow piled up outside, it’s easy to stay bundled up under the covers watching Netflix. It’s normal to catch cabin fever from being cooped up inside for so long.

Braving the bitter cold for a snowy game is typical for children, but sometimes, adults want to play in the snow. Having snowball fights, building snowmen and making snow angels are great basics to winter fun. But let’s take it a step further with a few fresh ideas to get you out of the house on dreary winter days.

1. Snow ice cream, two servings

What you need:
4 cups of snow
1/4 cup of white sugar
3/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract
Milk
A bowl
A spoon

Combine the snow, sugar and vanilla extract in a bowl. Add the milk, as much as you’d like for the right amount of consistency, and stir. Grab a spoon and enjoy.

Source: All Recipes

2. Snow castle

This is like building sand castles during warm days at the beach, except freezing. Use buckets and objects from your room to create a snow kingdom. Mold the snow in buckets, carve designs into the snow using spoons and decorate with food coloring. It can be as little or as large as possible.

Source: whatsupyournose.wordpress.com

3. Campus sledding

Want more adrenaline? Flatten a box or use a plastic container as a simple and portable sled on a hill. And though they make nice sleds, do not take food trays from the dining halls.

A few good areas on campus are the south side of Woodworth Complex and the east area by John R. Emens Auditorium and the Arts and Communications Building.

4. Snow sculpting

Building traditional snowmen isn’t anything new, so change it up by creating characters or a scene with snow. Students have already built igloos and abnormally tall snowmen.

5. Spreading joy

This activity might be less thrilling, but if you enjoy mystery and making strangers smile, then this will keep you entertained.

While walking by piles of snow, bus stop benches or the areas in front of residence halls, leave a message or picture for passersby. A small reminder to have a good day or a picture to laugh at might warm up people on the way to class.

6. Follow the footprint tag

Bringing back childhood games can be exciting, but with the risk of slipping on ice it can be dangerous. Instead of the traditional game of tag, take care and walk a little slower with an added rule. To make things safe and more challenging, players can only step in the footsteps already created by other players.

No matter what you do to keep entertained in the winter, remember to stay warm and be safe.