WOMEN'S TENNIS: Cardinals travel to Michigan for Big East opponents

Ball State to battle Big East opponents; team is confident

The Ball State University women's tennis team will travel to Kalamazoo, Mich., this weekend for a pair of matches against Big East opponents DePaul and Marquette universities.

The Cardinals (2-0) have not played a match since their 7-0 sweep of Wright State University on Jan. 23.

Head coach Kathy Bull said the team has utilized the weight room and studied film during its 10-day break.

"We have done a nice job adding extra fitness and weight training - this will pay off for us over time," Bull said. "We have also worked on better thinking on the court regarding strategies."

Senior Haly Calderwood, who is 2-0 at No. 1 doubles and 1-1 at No. 2 singles match play this season, said she does not expect her team to be rusty this weekend.

"[The break] allows everyone to concentrate on themselves for a bit and sort out any on-court issues," Calderwood said. "Practices have been strong, [and] we have worked on conditioning a bit more intensely and lots of point-play situations on court."

Ball State will have plenty of opportunities to knock off any rust when it faces off against DePaul (3-1) on Saturday.

The Blue Demons return 2007 Big East All-Tournament selection Dunja Antunovic, who finished with a 17-2 record at No. 1 singles play last season, becoming a ranked player in the process.

Bull said that her No. 1 singles player, Sophie Quist, however, can "play with anyone."

"[Quist] needs to stay focused on how she wants to play," Bull said, "and not play the way her opponent will allow her to play."

DePaul finished last season 13-12, with a 6-5 mark in Big East play.

"DePaul has been strong for quite some time," said Bull, who is in her 20th year as head coach.

On Sunday, the Cardinals match up against the Golden Eagles of Marquette (0-3).

Marquette also returns a Big East All-Tournament selection in senior Shannon Brown, who finished 17-10 overall last season, with a 9-3 mark at No. 6 singles.

The Golden Eagles finished last season 12-13, 4-3 in the Big East.

Senior Jennifer Pollack said she hopes this weekend's matches will be a good way to measure the rest of the season for her team.

"Both of these schools are talented and have depth in their lineups," said Pollack, who is a combined 4-0 at No. 1 doubles and No. 3 singles this season. "I am excited to see how we measure up against these teams and compete with people that are at a high level. This weekend will definitely reveal if what we have been practicing is paying off in our match play."