FOOTBALL: Miami out to prove 2-10 record a fluke

RedHawks coach looking for big win in season opener

Last year, the Miami University football team finished its season 2-10, giving the program its first losing season since 1994.

However, RedHawks' coach Shane Montgomery said his team's final record is a bit deceptive. Miami lost half of its games by a touchdown or less, including a 38-31 overtime game at Purdue University and a 20-17 loss to Ball State University.

"It was just a play here or a play there and it could have been a different record," Montgomery said. "One of the good things we did do last year is that we did gave ourselves a chance to win games. We just didn't get over the hump."

Most of the RedHawks players are returning from last season, including starting quarterback Mike Kokal, receiver Dustin Woods - who will wear No. 1 - and their top two running backs, Andre Bratton and Brandon Murphy. Montgomery said he believes his club is primed to begin a new streak of winning seasons.

"I feel like we've had a good offseason and spring practice," Montgomery said. "I'm really confident with where we are right now, and I know our players feel that way too. The key for us is that we need to get a big victory early that can kind of spring board us into the rest of the season."

Despite last year's record, Ball State coach Brady Hoke said he expects a hard-fought game against Miami.

"I think they're going to be a team that's heard 2-10 enough and they're going to come out here with an attitude to play the game," Hoke said. "They're a real solid football team that had some bad breaks last season."

Starting running back MiQuale Lewis said the players realize Miami will be focused on getting its season started with a win.

"Usually Miami's an excellent team, one of the best in the MAC," Lewis said. "Knowing that they had that year we know Miami's going to come in here [today] and give us all they've got. They're going to come out and try to hit us in the mouth."

Ball State junior cornerback B.J. Hill said an extra motivator for his team will be the newly furnished Scheumann Stadium, which was dedicated Tuesday.

"We haven't really been a good home team in the past," Hill said of the Cardinals' 8-13 home record under Hoke. "There wasn't an excuse in the past. But now with our new stadium renovation it's like we've got to be new in protecting our house. So that's what we're going to try to do this year - we're going to try to protect our house a little better. And that starts [today]."