Team hopes to break losing streak

Heading into Saturday's meet at Michigan State, the Ball State gymnastics team is sitting on a streak of five consecutive meets without a win. Snapping the streak won't be an easy task for the Cardinals.

The Cards (8-11, 2-3 MAC) will travel to hostile territory in East Lansing for a triangular meet. A meet that pits Ball State up against host and twenty-ninth ranked Michigan State (9-5, 2-2 Big Ten) and Mid-American Conference rival twenty-fourth ranked Central Michigan (16-1 overall, 4-0 MAC).

The three teams competing this weekend already have some history this season.-á Michigan State is the only team to defeat Central this season, while Ball State lost a nail biter earlier in the year to Central (193.200-192.975).

"We want to dominate this meet," said CMU sophomore Kara Reighard.

"We want other teams to feel that we hold the top spot in the MAC and that they are battling for second and third place."

When Ball State and Central met up earlier this year, the Cardinals scored a team season high 192.975. The Cards will look to revenge that loss.

"We lost to them (CMU) earlier this year, and it was really close. We know we can beat them, and it's always fun beating them," said sophomore Jessica Surridge.

Last week the Cardinals dropped their closest meet of the season to Illinois State and Illinois-Chicago on Friday (191.725-191.675-191.425). The team then had to turnaround on Sunday and travel to Bowling Green where they dropped a meet to the Falcons (193.800-188.675).

Saturday's meet will be the second meet of a four game stretch of road meets before the Cardinals compete in the MAC Championship.

"The regular season's important, but what really matters most is the MAC," said Surridge.

Before the Cardinals try to defend their MAC Championship, the team will finish out the regular season with two road duel meets. The team will travel to the Air Force Academy on March 9th. The women will then wrap of the season with a meet at Eastern Michigan on March 15th.