Team will play against contrasting styles in Miami, Louisville

This weekend, the field hockey team will face two completely different Mid-American Conference teams with two opposite playing styles.

The Cardinals will try to get their first conference victory today at Miami. The Redhawks are 1-7 overall and 0-2 in the MAC. They have scored just 2 goals in their last four games.

The team then travels to Louisville on Saturday. Louisville is 6-3 and 2-0 in the MAC. They are ranked No. 9 in the nation in the National Field Hockey Coaches Association poll. They are coming off a double overtime win against Indiana on Wednesday.

This weekend will be similar to last weekend for Ball State when the Cardinals faced Central Michigan and Boston University and had trouble adjusting to their differing styles, head coach Jen Halliday said.

Halliday compared the next two games to playing a men's and women's basketball team on consecutive nights.

"The men's team will be real physical, while the women's team will be more finesse," Halliday said.

"Miami's going to be more physical and more individual and Louisville is more of a finesse team."

Halliday said the style of play doesn't matter to the team because it can play either. She added that the team does not want to adjust its style to the opponents. Rather she wants it to go out and play its own game.

"We want to play our game, which is a combination of both," Halliday said. "There's a way to be strong but also have finesse. That's what we're striving for."

Last weekend, when the Cardinals faced opposite styles, they dropped both games and it took them most the first half of the second game to adjust to Boston.

In order to be successful this weekend, Halliday said the Cardinals have to stick to their game-plan and the goals they want to accomplish.

"We don't want to change our mind set," Halliday said. "We want to keep our same level of intensity and work with the same efficiency both games."5521-í~?-¦Ifieldhockeypreview 10.4DNEditorial552SORT6+â-ä2AUDT

+â-ä'-¦