Ball State hosts 17th annual Chase Charlie races

<p>Charlie Cardinal celebrates on Sept. 8 in LaFollette Field for President Mearns Installation Picnic. Race participants will be able to run alongside Charlie Saturday. &nbsp;Andrew Smith, DN</p>

Charlie Cardinal celebrates on Sept. 8 in LaFollette Field for President Mearns Installation Picnic. Race participants will be able to run alongside Charlie Saturday.  Andrew Smith, DN

Ball State’s 17th annual Chase Charlie Races will take place Saturday during Ball State’s family weekend.

The athletic event is hosted annually by the students of Ball State’s sports administration program. The students actively work to try and get the community involved in this project which teaches them how to put on an event on their own.

The proceeds of this event go to help the students of the sports administration program, but the event will also help promote a more active lifestyle in Muncie.

Eric Klosterman, an adviser for the Ball State students, encourages people to participate this year. 

“It’s a way to get the community involved and to really enjoy the healthy lifestyle, or to get involved in the healthy lifestyle,” Klosterman said.

The event includes three races with Ball State’s mascot, Charlie Cardinal. Participants can choose between the 5K walk or run, which is open to all ages and the Mile Mania or Kiddie 100, which are both for children 13 and under.

The 5K will begin at 8:30 a.m. For those not registered, walk-up registration will be available from 7:00 a.m. through 8:15 a.m. 

Participants in the 5K will start at Gate Four of Scheumann Stadium, head down Alumni Drive, take a left onto Bethel Avenue, then a right onto McKinley Avenue. Once participants reach the the Scramble Light, they will turn around and travel back to the stadium. 

The one mile run, Mile Mania, beings at 9 a.m. at the Ball State track, with walk up

registration available from 7 a.m. through 8:45 a.m. This race will also have participants

finishing up at the football stadium.

The Kiddie 100 will take place during halftime of the football game. The kids will run from the north end zone to the south end zone of the football field with Charlie Cardinal by their side. 

“It’s a great sight for the people in the stands and an amazing opportunity for the kids participating,” Klosterman added

Parents will still be able to register racers from 1 p.m. until the end of the first quarter. Walk up registration will be available near gate one and four.

After the races, participants are encouraged to watch Ball States Cardinals go head-to-head

against Tennessee Tech Golden Eagles at 3:00 p.m.